Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Are we getting disaster weary?

As I look at the news events we've covered over the last year I can't help but wonder what's next? When I came to Mission Network News 10 years ago I could count on one hand the number of disasters we covered between 1995 and 2000. Yes, there were a few, but nothing like we're seeing today.

Here's what we've covered in the last 13 months.

  • The Beslan, Russia terrorist attack (Sept. 04)
  • East Asia tsunami (Dec. 04)
  • Massive Flooding in Bombay (July 05)
  • United States hurricanes (most recently Sept. 05)
  • Guatemala mudslide (Oct. 05)
  • Pakistan earthquake (Oct. 05)

Those are just the disasters I remember. I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting.

The reason I mention this is that we're beginning to see some of these areas go without. Since many people have already given generously to the people's needs in the tsunami zone or the hurricanes, the people in Pakistan may not get the help they need. Is it because there isn't any more money to donate, or is it because we're getting used to seeing disasters in the world?

What's incredible to me, is to see how God uses each of these events to draw people to Himself. Yes, may people curse God for allowing this to happen, but many understand their need for Him and turn to him with open arms.

We serve an incredible God. Thank you for being a part of this.

Greg Yoder, Anchor & Executive Director

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home