Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Winter

Well, winter has begun. It's cold and snowy today here at the MNN office in Grand Rapids, Michigan. As I was bitterly griping at the bitter wind whipping at my face while walking to my car, I was struck with a very humbling thought that provided a reality check for my complaint...

The devastating earthquake in Pakistan/India in October has left millions without homes. Usually we think of that region of the world as very hot, but the Kashmir region sits along the Himalayan Mountains, and these millions of people are left, even after a month since the earthquake, with nothing to shelter them from the bitter mountainous wind, rain, snow and cold, and not much hope for relief and shelter. This tragedy is nearly forgotten in the wider world, and yet so many people have been impacted by it. Why is that?

I had better think twice before I complain of my cold hands and the snow that beats mercilessly on me for a whole 30 seconds between my office and my car. It puts winter in a different perspective for me.

"God, make us more sensitive to the sufferings of others, and not just that, but call us to action on their behalf."

~ Faith, Executive Assistant

1 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Chris & Becca said...

Amen! This is a good reminder. I'm looking out my window on the other side of Grand Rapids and there is a lot of snow here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home